Through 10th September to the 5th October, The Charity Bank is running a Follow The Money campaign [#FollowTheMoney]. Tresoc were delighted to be invited to be a part of this, meeting up with the Charity Bank on the first day of their campaign on a visit to Totnes.
As you may already be aware, The Charity Bank provided a loan to Tresoc during a crucial stage of the society’s development, allowing the solar installation at Hatchlands Farm to get underway and for our solar portfolio to expand. Charity Bank are profiling us in a national campaign to show how Tresoc have developed into a thriving local renewable energy society, with all the benefits this brings to our community.
Read more about how this timely intervention helped Tresoc, with words from our Executive Director, Ian Bright, on the Follow The Money Campaign website.
Thank you to local Tresoc members who were able to turn up and be a part of this occasion.
The 3rd Annual Archimedes Screw Fest
Event date: 6th October 2018
Join us to celebrate the River Dart and its most spectacular new landmark – the twin turbines of the Totnes Weir hydropower scheme.
We’ll be celebrating the many ways we all care for the River Dart – we support clean energy, make art, write poetry, stop plastic getting in to it, learn about biodiversity, become citizen scientists, notice problems, track and log wildlife, swim, boat and fish considerately…
Rain or shine there’ll be loads of fun activities going on all day …
- Turbine Tours at 12 noon and 3pm
- Eureka! Meet Archimedes in person
- Citizen Science and rivers bugs with Westcountry Rivers Trust
- Renewable energy technology workshops for primary children with REEL
- Join in with the “Plastic Free Salmon” art project
- Find out about Bio-Regional Learning Centre’s pilot Dart Charter on the Dartington Estate
- Learn about more community energy investment opportunities from TRESOC
- Yummy arancini (Archimedes favourite snack) from The Kitchen Table
The Screw Fest is Tour Stop #4 on Transition Town Totnes’ Eco Homes Weekend trail.
How to get there
The site is accessible via foot- and cycle-path from Totnes to Dartington – it’s about half a mile upstream of Totnes town centre. It’s a lovely easy walk on flat ground. No parking nearby.
Hope to see you …
The TRESOC Team.
The Second Annual Archimedes Screw Fest at Totnes Weir on the River Dart on Saturday October 7th, 11am – 4pm. Free
Turbine tours by Alastair Gets of TRESOC at 12 noon & 3pm
• Meet Archimedes!
• River science all day with Westcountry Rivers Trust – bring the grandkids
• Sign up to become a Riverkeeper – a steward of the River Dart
• Delicious veg-filled arancini to eat, from The Kitchen Table
The Screw Fest is back!
• If you missed the tours last year, join us on the 7th and see your investment at work producing clean electricity for KEVICC & the foundry.
• If you came on a tour last year, please suggest to a friend that they come along this year.
You are part of a success story:
• The turbines have been cranking since they began generating electricity in December 2015. The plant has been performing ahead of expectations.
• The recreational area created near the turbine house was very popular over the summer – local people love it!
• The Renewable Energy Experiential Learning pilot with St Christopher’s school saw a class of students hearing how the turbines work, designing their own water-moving devices and making water wheels from sticks and leaves at the river’s edge – shoes and socks off, feet in the water! If you missed it, here’s the link to the film – please share it.
• The canoe launch platform was also much-used by kayakers and swimmers
• The automatic fish counter has tracked 100’s of fish and the fish pass has been welcomed by Westcountry Rivers Trust as truly “best practice.”
More good news:
• Staverton Hydro….. learn all about this new investment opportunity…..
Looking forward to seeing you on the 7th – rain or shine.
The Screw Fest is part of:
Open Eco-Homes Weekend
Fri 6, Sat 7 and Sun 8 Oct. Free
17 exciting homes and projects open to visit – full details in the programme or get your hard copy from Greenlife, The Mansion, Guildhall or Library, Totnes.
and don’t forget:
Eco & Community Homes Fair
Sat 21 Oct 10.00am to 3.00pm, Totnes Civic Hall. Free
TRESOC is hosting The First Ever Archimedes Screw Festival at Totnes Weir on the River Dart on Saturday, 15 October, 2016, 11am – 4pm.
Science: Join Westcountry Rivers Trust (WRT) river scientists to look at the salmon’s “eco home”. Simple testing kits will enable you to take measurements and look at ecological status of the Dart. Join hundreds of other Citizen Scientists in the region – sign up with WRT to become a River Dart steward.
Art: Celebrate the Dart – make a silver salmon and add it to a giant community shoal.
Energy: Hydro scheme tours at 12 noon and 3pm with Tresoc’s Alastair Gets, Director of Engineering – see inside the working plant. Find out about Tresoc’s new hydro project at Staverton Leat.
Join in: Share your own ‘Tales of the Riverbank’. Help us design a permanent sign to explain more about the scheme – what do you want to know? Participate in a clean-up along the river. Totnes Rubbish Walks volunteers will start at Totnes Bridge at 11am, arriving at the weir by noon, continuing along the river, finishing by 1pm.
If you work up an appetite: Taste Archimedes’ favourite Sicilian snack, veg-filled arancini – on sale from 12:30pm, while supplies last, fresh from local food geniuses, The Kitchen Table.
The festival is part of Transition Town Totnes’ Open Eco Homes weekend. From the traditional to the unconventional, the tour highlights inspiring homes at different stages on the journey to reducing their energy bills and environmental impact.